It is very useful to perform color coding in your visualization.
You can show values which are above or below a threshold value in a different color.
In Tableau you can achieve this by using a calculated field.
- Create a visualization according to your requirements
- Create a calculated field on the column you want to color code
- Give a use friendly name to your calculation and enter code similar to the following
- Drop your calculation on the color mark
- Tableau will automatically show color based on your color mark. If you want to change these colors, click on color mark and select edit color and choose a color palette from the drop down.
Colors can be applied to different charts, learn how to create different charts in Tableau
Please watch my video below to learn how to achieve color coding in Tableau